Friday, October 10, 2008

Rain Or Shine We Are There

Heavy rain started to pour as early as 6:30pm and I was driving downtown to make some night banking. I planned to be early at the candle light vigil but was so disappointed by the heavy downpour. After finishing my tasks at various banks I drove around Dewan Sri Pinang where the candle light vigil is to be held. The time was still early when I reach there, 8:00pm and the heavy rain continue to pour. I was thinking that the vigil may be canceled and I might as well go home.

As I drove a second time round I saw a car park and park my car to wait for a while, hoping the rain will ease off soon. I sat inside the car and saw a few cars parking further down and nobody came out of the car. I guess these people were also coming for the candle light vigil, waiting for the rain to stop.

By 8:30pm the heavy rain turns to heavy drizzle and I get out of my car with an umbrella. I walk towards the location but nobody was around but when I turn my back I saw a few people following behind me. Within fifteen minutes the crowd grew to about fifty people.

When the candle light vigil started at around 9:10pm the crowd had grown to over 100. There were a group of about 30 Indians from Hindraf who came to lend their support.

Tonight speakers include Aliran President P Ramakrishnan and MP for Bukit Mertajam YB Chong Eng. Three brave audiences also stood up to give their shot at the draconian ISA with one lady dedicating a song to RPK and all the ISA detainees.

The crowd grew to nearly 200 people as the vigil was at mid stage. We want to let RPK and all the detainees know that they are not forgotten, we are there rain or shine.


Before closing I wish to inform all that next Friday candle light vigil at Dewan Sri Pinang will be the last for now. MP Chong Eng had thrown a challenge to the organiser to make it a big one next Friday. The organiser requested us to help them by calling and bringing our friends and relatives to make it a five thousand people candle light vigil.

Lets do it together and send a strong message to the government that we do not need the ISA.

The 5,000 people candle light vigil in Penang, please attend and bring your friends and relatives to show support for this cause. It's peaceful and always have been.

Candle Light Vigil At Penang Dewan Sri Pinang

Date: 17 October 2008 (Friday)

Time: 9:00 pm

Once again for those who cannot participate in these activities due to various reasons you can support by clicking on the following links:

FREE ALL THE ISA DETAINEES  (Over 40,607 people had signed)

ABOLISH THE ISA  (Over 64,822 e-mail sent)


For more Malaysiakini news - logon to Malaysiakini for all the latest news online.

No comments: