Thursday, August 14, 2008

Will Raja Petra Goes To Jail For Telling The Truth?

Raja Petra blog, Malaysia-Today is never short of intrigue posting, the plot and the story whether reliable or short of being true are just too interesting to be missed.

Raja Petra or Pete (his icon nick name) are being sued, charged or temporary jailed cannot stop him from producing all the intrigue stories.

Whether they are true or not will have to wait till the end of the day. His string of court cases will take a long time before the verdict to jail him or set him free.

Today he produce another posting, titled You said it, babe! in respond to Shafee latest challenger to RPK’s online stature.

I abstract a few paragraph of his posting which I find the quality of his counter statement very meaningful and logical.


Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said it very aptly last month when the allegation of sodomy against Anwar Ibrahim first broke. Of course he will deny it, said Abdullah. No one will admit it. That would be the normal reaction of anyone being accused of something.

Okay, that was not exactly the way he put it but he said, more or less, this: it is normal for someone accused of something to deny it and that no one would admit it. And that is exactly my response to Shafee Abdullah as well: would he admit it and would it not be normal for him to deny it?

.................

With regards to the IGP story, I attached Statutory Declarations from half a dozen or so senior police officers plus another two from underworld bosses that confirmed the links between the IGP and the crime syndicate headed by BK Tan. We are talking about Statutory Declarations here, not idle conversation and whispers in the night. If these six police officers and the two underworld bosses lied and signed false Statutory Declarations why were they not charged like I was when I too signed a Statutory Declaration? I have actually seen many other documents as well but I decided not to publish them because I want to protect the source. But at least these documents helped convince me that the IGP is guilty as hell and not a victim of slander.

Smart people these police and AG, are they not? And that is the same reason why they charged me under the Sedition Act. Under the Sedition Act it also does not matter whether you told the truth or you lied. Even if you told the truth you are still guilty -- as what happened to Marina Yusoff when the court ruled that the truth has nothing to do with the matter. Even if you told the truth it is still sedition.

Can you see how they carefully chose the charges so that they need not prove I lied? I also will have no opportunity to prove that I told the truth, as the truth is not material to the charge. The charge is about whether I did say or write all those things and not about whether there is any truth in what I said or wrote.

In short, they can send me to jail for telling the truth as long as they can establish that I did say or write whatever I am being charged for saying or writing. They hope that once I am convicted then the public perception would be I have lied because most people would not comprehend I am being sent to jail for telling the truth.


You can read his full posting here.


There are many aspect to all his claims, but why does he want to go to the extreme and is prepared to go to jail for it? I do not have the answer but just to wait for the final outcome which may take a long time. As most of his readers are standing by him and that the ruling government are using the third estate to protect themselves, it is logical to conclude that he will finally land up in jail before all the whole story can be unveiled.

No comments: